Here are some of my observations, notes and opinions on Practice #2 for the Tennessee Volunteers, Saturday, August 3, 2013. The media viewed the first hour-plus of the second practice. Subscribe to get new post-practice reports on Tennessee and news from around SEC during fall practices.
Vinny’s Vibe on the Vols (8/3)
· Day 2 had some improvement in intensity and execution from the first practice
· Clearly, the coaches want more intensity in all areas and drills
· Right after stretching, Butch Jones put two players in the spotlight. He asked for Malik Foreman (CB) vs. Cody Blanc (WR) in red-zone drill at the 3-yard line. Blanc won on the inside slant and caught the pass for a would-be touchdown. His offensive teammates and coaches rushed to him in celebration. That got everyone’s juices flowing to kick-off practice. Butch Jones said it was a lesson for the freshmen that you are one play away from being in a critical situation in the game, and you need to be ready. He said they’ll do more competitive drills like that as camp goes on. Pretty neat.
· Many of the summer-enroll freshmen have a long way to go to learn how to practice to the standards expected but they improved overall
· Butch Jones’ voice is already very raspy, but it’s neat to listen to him talk throughout practice
· There are going to be plenty of freshmen that will have to play for this team; who those players will be is completely up for grabs right now
· Every player is getting coached-up right now while practice reps are still up-in-the-air
· Freshmen QBs Joshua Dobbs & Riley Ferguson were a little better today, as the nerves slowly start to diminish
· QB Justin Worley looks like the most polished, confident quarterback in camp
· QB Nathan Peterman has huge legs; much different than the other 3 skinnier-legged QBs
· The WRs have a long way to go to please WR Coach Zach Azzani, who is a perfectionist
· Azzani's attention to detail and ability to see every technique full-speed is impressive
· Freshman WR Ryan Jenkins looked smooth in a move-down-the-field drill
· Freshman WR Marquez North is raw and is corrected often, but he appears to be very coachable and absolutely looks the part physically
· With the time that Azzani, Bakajian & Jones spend on North, it would appear that they know if he can play-up to his ability and continue to get better, they won’t be able to keep him off the field
· Butch Jones was on CB Malik Foreman some today on the wireless mic
· Tommy Thigpen said Channing Fugate has been doing well so far
· A.J. Johnson looks quicker and more mobile than last year, yet he's still big and muscular
Follow me on Twitter @VinceSports and see everything I’m working on in sports.
You can hear the sports talk show that I host, News Sentinel Sports Page, weekdays from 10am to Noon ET in East Tennessee on FM 99.1 & AM 990. Stream the show at www.sportsanimal99.com. Listen anywhere on your mobile device by downloading the WNML Sports Animal App or the iHeart Radio App.