Skip to main content
  1. News
  2. Crime & Courts

Tenn. man jailed and suspected of killing neighbor’s German Shepard

See also

A Dyersburg, Tenn. woman is mourning the loss of her pet German Shepard named Dallas, and claims that her neighbor stabbed Dallas to death after her dog got into a fight with her neighbor’s Pit Bull the day prior to the stabbing. According to a June 15 report from WBBJ-TV, Dallas’ owner, Linda Spain, accused her 27-year-old next door neighbor, Michael Hendricks, of going into her back yard and stabbing Dallas in the throat.

Dallas was found dead behind Spain’s house at 1107 Ridgeway St. in Dyersburg around 4 p.m. last Thursday. Hendricks was arrested later that evening and charged with felony intentional killing of an animal and resisting arrest. During the Dyersburg Police’s initial interview with Hendricks at his home, cops say they saw blood on his clothes.

Spain told police that the day before Dallas was killed, Dallas and Hendricks’ Pit Bull, Chaoz, got into a fight. Reportedly, Hendricks' fiancée’s daughter was walking the Pit Bull in front of Spain’s home when things between the two canines got out of control. Chaoz the Pit Bull was said to have been on a leash, but broke away from the little girl to go play with Dallas. Dallas didn’t want to play.

"He got away from her and he's a playful dog and he [saw] another dog and he wanted to go play and the dog attacked him," Britney Preslar said, Hendricks' fiancée.

"I didn't sleep for three days and [I'm] upset, all the other neighbors are crying," Spain said. "I mean he was a good loyal dog he loved everybody."

The Dyersburg State Gazette reported that when police went to Spain’s house initially to investigate, that Spain brought the officer to where Dallas was lying dead in her back yard. Police noted that the Shepard was chained and had suffered “a single laceration on the dog's throat that was consistent to a knife wound.” The officer also noted that Dallas “bled to death over an extended period of time.”

He stated it "appeared that someone was either petting the dog or captured the dog's attention and stabbed him in an uppercut motion with a large bladed knife."

The officer also stated that while investigating Dallas’ remains, an agent from the local Humane Society arrived on the scene to say that Hendricks had contacted them after the dogs fought, and that Hendricks wanted Dallas picked up and destroyed. When the officer spoke to Hendricks prior to arresting him, Hendricks said that he thought Dallas represented a threat “to his children and other children in the area.” Hendricks also denied having anything to do with killing the German Shepard.

One of the [Hendricks’] children then told the officer "we didn't even know the dog's throat was cut."

The officer had not told anyone the dog's throat had been cut and it was not determined the dog was stabbed until he had examined the body. The officer then asked Hendricks' children to go inside the house while he spoke [with] him and his wife.

Between the child’s comments and the blood on Hendricks’ clothes, the officer felt there was enough probable cause to arrest Hendricks. Trying to work with Hendricks though, the officer offered to give Hendricks time to get his affairs in order and turn himself in to the police at a later time. When the officer left Hendricks’ house to update Spain on the situation, Hendricks “began walking shirtless down the street and yelled at the officer he was not going to turn himself in and they would have to come and get him.”

The officer called for backup. When backup arrived, the two officers attempted to restrain the accused dog killer.

After several unanswered requests for Hendricks to place his hands behind his back, the officers had to take him to the ground and secure him in handcuffs.

Police took Hendricks to the Dyer County Jail where he remained until Monday evening. He was released after posting a $5,000 bond.