Here comes the first installment of Ten Tournament Tidbits, odds and ends from the state hockey and basketball tournaments. First up, girls hockey.
1. The only first time team in the state tournament was Mound-Westonka.
2. There were two overtime games, and Lakeville North played in both of them, including the six overtime game against Minnetonka.
3. New Ulm made its fifth consecutive trip to state and has not won a quarterfinal game.
4. Irondale was the sixth seed in Section 5AA and the lowest in this year's tournament.
5. Cassie Alexander of Lakeville North set a state tournament record with 59 saves.
6. North Wright County, in their second state tournament, comes from St. Michael-Albertville, Annandale and Maple Lake.
7. Former North Star Tom Younghans is in his first year as head coach of Eagan.
8. Jamie Grossman, Eden Prairie head coach won a Class A championship in 2005 leading Holy Angels.
9. Three of the five Ms. Hockey finalists played in the tournament. Dani Cameranesi of Blake, Paige Haley of Red Wing and Sidney Morin of Minnetonka.
10. Five of the eight Class A schools played in a championship game. Blake, South St. Paul, Warroad and Alexandria won state titles. Hibbing/Chisholm is the only one not to win a championship, they finished second in 1998, 2002, 2003 and 2005.