Being a teenager can be difficult and confusing. How can a teen know if what they are doing and thinking actually can be life changing? They can listen to an adult that made many mistakes as a teen and who saw fellow teens make mistakes as well.
The following list includes what many people realize once they become adults. Knowing these things can help improve a teen’s mental health and positively influence their decision-making. Teenagers need to trust and believe the following ten things adults wish they would have known as teens.
- Some things you do when you are a teenager, you will look back on as an adult and ask yourself, “Why did I do that? Man I was stupid.”
- It does not matter how popular you are or how many friends you have in school. Nine times out of ten, you will not even communicate with the people you go to school with once you graduate.
- Your brains are still developing so doing drugs and drinking alcohol will cause your brain to develop improperly which can lead to addiction, depression, unmanageable anger, laziness and many other issues.
- Girls, boys usually only want one thing and that is to take advantage of you. Do not give yourself away or you will not be respected. Also, do not allow older men to sweet talk you into anything because they only want one thing and are using you as well. If you do not stand for something, you will fall for anything.
- Boys, girls also can be users and distract you from being successful. Relationships involving sex at an early age are just not a good idea. Hormones can be a strong manipulator and that is why it is a good idea to involve yourself in other extracurricular activities.
- Stop caring about what other people think! They are not you and they do not have to live your life. Your life is yours let their life be theirs, do what you like to do and do what you feel is right.
- Take good advice from adults when given. Adults have already been teenagers and have already made the same mistakes they want to keep you from making so stop being so stubborn.
- Trust your instincts. If something feels wrong then it most likely is. You do not have to do anything you do not want to. Live up to your own expectations and not others.
- Trust and believe that karma is a real thing. What you put out is what you get back. If you do good, good will come your way. If you do bad, bad things will happen to you.
- Always do your best in everything you do. Failure only comes when you give up. If you want to succeed, do not give up.