Contemporary leadership is the art of creating an environment where team members have the ability to be successful. It involves cultivating an environment conducive to productivity and providing the resources needed for each employee to individually achieve their peak potential.
Here are the ten successful traits that organizations with healthy workplace cultures live on a daily basis. Click on any title to read more about the specific trait or go to the attached list to read all traits.
- Communication: Openly share as much as possible in order to establish trust.
- Consistency: Baskin-Robbins has been successful with a flavor of the month but it has no place in a healthy workplace culture.
- Empowerment: Often understood as allowing people to make decisions, but it is more about goal alignment.
- Encouragement: Keep employees engaged by showing you are paying attention.
- Feedback: A critical element, especially with Generation X and Generation Y.
- Leadership: Managers must know the difference between traditional and contemporary leadership.
- Responsibility: Allowing employees to make their own mistakes, identify the mistake quickly and then take a joint approach to resolution.
- Restraint: Hold your temper.
- Me time: Recognize that individuals need to be able to focus.
- Team time: Letting the team run themselves.
© Max Impact, used with permission.
Complimentary resources about cultures
- What makes up the contents one’s character? More than 20 different categories of culture are available on Cultural bridges website.
- Marketing mistakes are often humorous. Cultural faux pas is a webpage with a group of marketing mistakes made by others.
- Increase your cultural awareness with a series of culture quizzes test your cultural IQ with fun and informative quizzes.
Recommended books about workplace cultures
- True Alignment: Linking Company Culture with Customer Needs for Extraordinary Results
- The Great Workplace: How to Build It, How to Keep It, and Why It Matters
- Change the Culture, Change the Game: The Breakthrough Strategy for Energizing Your Organization and Creating Accountability for Results
- “Life’s Leadership Lessons”: 53 anecdotal leadership lessons ideal for building leadership during staff meetings. Paperback, Kindle, Apple or Nook.