By now you've heard the health benefits of meditation and mindfulness: clarity, focus, peace of mind, stress reduction and increased resilience, to name a few.
Now, in New York or San Francisco you might expect to find plenty of opportunities to hone these skills and connect with like-minded "seekers." But what about (comparatively) little Portland, Maine?
No problem. Here are ten places to learn, study and practice mindfulness in Southern Maine.
- Portland Zen Meditation Center hold s monthly retreats, community meetings and weekly opportunities to sit.
- Mindfulness Center of Southern Maine in Saco offers retreats, mentoring, counseling and workshops.
- Saco River Yoga offers classes in Ashtanga Yoga, Mindfulness Yoga, and Yoga Nidra Guided Meditation.
- The Human Element Center in Brunswick has a spa, classes, and personal training.
- Sanford's Panditarama Sydney Meditation Centre is a home for Buddhist meditation.
- Full Circle Synergy in Portland has classes, workshops and more.
- Also in Portland, the Nagaloka Buddhist Center provides courses and opportunities for study and meditation.
- The Brunswick Portland Shambhala Meditation Center offers "weekly public meditation, a core curriculum of Buddhist and Shambhala teachings, as well as free meditation instruction and training in advanced contemplative practices."
- Northern Light Zen Center in Brunswick offers regular meditation opportunities, public talks and Zen retreats.
What about the the right clothing, accessories, music, books and others items to teach, inspire and just put you in the right space for mindful meditation? The Happy Yogi on Congress Street fits the bill - and gives us number ten.
You might also enjoy these: