Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Ten-Man Sydney manage point in Adelaide

All the action from Adelaide United v Sydney FC
All the action from Adelaide United v Sydney FC
Photo by Morne de Klerk/Getty Images

It was an entertaining night, although both coaches will be frustrated, with Sydney FC holding on for a 2-2 draw with Adelaide United at Coopers Stadium despite being reduced to ten men on Friday night.

The teams contest a header
Photo by Morne de Klerk/Getty Images

Adelaide United lost both Bruce Djite and Sergio Cirio to injury early on adding to a quickly going injury list in South Australia.

Sydney FC started well, controlling the possession early, passing the ball around leaving the Adelaide defense scrambling and resulting in an opening goal for the visitors just eight minutes in.

Richie Garcia had space on the right which allowed him to send a cross in low, catching Eugene Galekovic out of position and allowing Ranko Despotovic to slam the ball home.

In the 16th minute Despotovic nearly had his brace after Alessandro Del Piero put him through but his run was poorly timed and he was flagged offside.

Adelaide got a big hit in the 20th minute when Djite unable to play as he limped off the field with an injury forcing Awer Mabil on as a sub.

In the 24th minute Adelaide got past that injury and equalized as Steven Lustica found Fabio Ferreira at the far post allowing him to hit an impressive volley for the equalizer.

Adelaide United really started to control the match from that point but again the fates did not smile upon the Reds as Cirio also left the field with an injury, forcing Adelaide to go through the first half hour with just one sub remaining.

Sydney could well have had a penalty in the 37th minute as Eugene Galekovic slid in to save before Despotovic could get his shot away but the referee deemed it a clean save and pointed for a corner that ended with a shot that came off the crossbar before going out, keeping it 1-1 at the break.

Adelaide United started the second half well and it was young starlet Awer Mabil creating all the highlights as he terrorized Pedj Bojic throughout the half.

After that initial onslaught from Adelaide, Sydney had two chances of their own with Despotovic and Garcia both forcing good saves out of Eugene Galekovic in the space of one minute.

It was an end-to-end period to open the second half with an Adelaide counter providing the next chance, after a Bojic foul allowed Adelaide a free-kick resulting in a trio of chances that the hosts just could not put away.

The advantage swung firmly in Adelaide's favour in the 68th minute as Nick Carle tugged on Isais' shirt, earning him a second yellow card, and giving Adelaide a man advantage.

In the 72nd Adelaide were handed the advantage when a poorly judged challenge from Matt Jurman allowed Jake Barker-Daish to step up and hit the penalty powerfully to the upper right hand corner for the lead.

With Sydney a man down, and now a goal down they decided to go for the match and with eight minutes to play that risky decision paid off.

Nikola Petkovic stepped up to take a free-kick and hit it powerfully, allowing Corey Gameiro to get his head on it and send it past Galekovic to give the undermanned visitors a stunning equalizer.

Gameiro was on fire through the final stages, and if not for Galekovic, could well have stolen all three points for Sydney.

Report this ad