Most of us are aware of the negative aspects of being single. The two most common are a predisposition to loneliness and a fear of growing old alone. Pretty grim, eh? We are going to counter-balance this with a list of positive aspects of being single. Some of these may be repeats from previous articles but that's because they are worthy reminders. (and the writer tends to have a poor memory) If you are single, hopefully this list will lift your spirits. And if you are coupled, hopefully it will lift your understanding of singles. So, here are ten joys of being single, in no particular order:
- You can spend much more time with your friends.
- While spending time with your friends, you don't have to constantly check the time or answer texts or calls as to where you are and when you will return. Note: this creates feelings of freedom and serenity.
- If you don't have any friends, you have a lot more time to meet new people and build friendships.
- If you really don't want any friends, you can live that way without a partner judging that there is something creepily wrong with you.
- When a new video game comes out, you can play it compulsively if you want, without being ridiculed or nagged to stop.
- You can watch all the football, boxing and wrestling your little mind desires without being labeled a troglodyte.
- You can eat or not eat in bed without the risk of a partner driving you crazy by doing the opposite.
- You can leave the toilet seat up or down at your discretion without thought. There will be no snide looks, comments, questions, debates, arguments or fist fights.
- You don't have to compromise. Any decisions that need to be made, ranging from your style of dress to furnishing your home, are all you. Most people believe that compromise is a win/win. But deep down we all know that compromise leads to some loss.
- You have more time for self-improvement and/or enhancement. Activities that bring out the best in you are spiritually nourishing; such as meditation, exercise, therapy, music, etc. Whatever it is that helps the best you shine can be done without interruption by a partner.
A fun aspect of lists is that they frequently trigger additional synaptic activity. You might enjoy thinking of your own joys of being single. And after you've thought of them, go and live them with happy enthusiasm!