Picking New Orleans’ top ten restaurants is a silly idea, which everyone tries to do, without any list agreeing with another. Notice we didn’t say “the ten best restaurants.”
The following list is simply a very good start for visitors trying to figure which great New Orleans restaurants to enjoy during their stay in The Big Easy. Depending upon your criteria, there are probably at least 10 other restaurants that would please you just as well as these. However. we can say it’s hard to go wrong with this list, unless you’re hunting for bargains.
New Orleans is not a good place to bargain hunt for great meals. Practically all of these 10 restaurants will give you good value for your money, but don’t expect any $7.95 sirloin steaks. But you are more than likely to get excellent food, fine wine, very good service and a pleasant ambiance.
You’re also likely to impress your friends when you say you’ve been to one or more of these. Let’s face it that’s probably one of your criteria, and should be. Reputations are extremely important in the restaurant business.
Here we go:
- Start by deciding what matters most to you, such as type of cuisine.
- Check the websites of these 10 restaurants.
- Eliminate any that don’t meet your criteria.
- Rank those that are left. Have fun with that.
Now make your reservations early to make sure you can get in when you’d like.
Okay, here are the 10 very fine New Orleans restaurants that we promised, listed alphabetically. Don’t expect us to rank them. We’re not that silly.
- Antoine’s. The old French Quarter institution that put us on the road to greatness.
- Chateu du Lac. That’s real French cuisine, in Metairie.
- Clancy’s. The hard-to-find Uptown jewel.
- Commander’s Palace. The Garden District palace makes just about everybody’s list.
- Emeril’s--Another Commander’s graduate.
- Galatoire’s. Very good. Elegant. Fun.
- Impastato’s. Now that’s Italian, also in Metairie.
- K-Paul’s. Paul Prudhomme, the Cajun king from Opelousas, via Commander’s.
- Pelican Club. A lesser known French Quarter jewel.
- Restaurant August. The best of Chef Besh.
Okay, go ahead and substitute your preferred restaurants. We won’t argue.