June 3, 2010
Nantucket remains one of the most unique vacation destinations in the world. Here are ten unique and things you might not have known about this island and its people:
- There are no traffic lights on Nantucket Island.
- The 2nd oldest lighthouse in the USA is Brant Point Lighthouse, built in 1746 located on Nantucket.
- First American woman astronomer was born on Nantucket.
- President Benjamin Franklin’s mother, Abiah Folger, was born on Nantucket in 1667.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson and frequently came to Nantucket.
- R.H. Macy is a Nantucketeer, born in 1822 on Nantucket Island and the founder of the Macy’s retail stores.
- The original inhabitants of Nantucket Island are the Wampanoag Indians
- The oldest mill in the country is located on Nantucket. Built in 1746 it is still functioning today.
- Nantucket is a town, a county and an island
- James A. Folger was born on Nantucket He left the island at 15 and in 1872 founded Folger Coffee Company.