As technology develops and changes so does the vocabulary used to describe everyday things your child has knowledge about. While you are trying to keep pace, here are a few words you can drop to impress:
- selfie – a digital photo of oneself; Selfie became Oxford Dictionaries’ word of the year in 2013. See Selfie named word of the year for 2013.
- API - “Application Programming Interface: an interface that allows two software applications to interact more easily.” See Social Media Vocabulary.
- BYOD – bring your own device
- crowdsourcing - the practice of obtaining needed services, ideas, or content by soliciting contributions from a large group of people, and especially from an online community, rather than from traditional employees or suppliers. See Crowdsourcing.
- digital detox – taking a break from digital media or technology
- DM – direct message
- hacker – a person interested in computers or technology
- phablet – a smartphone with a screen larger than a regular smartphone and smaller than a tablet.
- Pin – a post on Pinterest
- Moblog – mobile blog
Be sure to keep updated!