January 11, 2014
As technology develops and changes so does the vocabulary used to describe everyday things your child has knowledge about. While you are trying to keep pace, here are a few words you can drop to impress:
- selfie – a digital photo of oneself; Selfie became Oxford Dictionaries’ word of the year in 2013. See Selfie named word of the year for 2013.
- API - “Application Programming Interface: an interface that allows two software applications to interact more easily.” See Social Media Vocabulary.
- BYOD – bring your own device
- crowdsourcing - the practice of obtaining needed services, ideas, or content by soliciting contributions from a large group of people, and especially from an online community, rather than from traditional employees or suppliers. See Crowdsourcing.
- digital detox – taking a break from digital media or technology
- DM – direct message
- hacker – a person interested in computers or technology
- phablet – a smartphone with a screen larger than a regular smartphone and smaller than a tablet.
- Pin – a post on Pinterest
- Moblog – mobile blog
Be sure to keep updated!