Skip to main content
  1. Life
  2. Family & Parenting
  3. Family

Temporary placement prior to adoption

So often there are situations that touch your heart - such as an unwanted teenage pregnancy or someone wanting to give their child away. If you or someone you know is in this type of situation, you may be interested in "getting a hold of" that child as soon as possible.

Since the adoption process is lengthy and time is of the essence, consider a preplacement evaluation from a child placing agency (i.e. Catholic Social Services, Department of Human  Services, etc.). This will start the process for you and your physical home to place a child.

With written permission from the biological parent you may be able to take a child into your care before the adoption process is complete. In Michigan you must be a Michigan resident to attempt temporary placement before adoption.

When looking into this process you will need to be involved with your child placing agency or an attorney. For a direct placement (the parent to you) a written statement about the transfer of physical custody of the adoptee must be signed and witnessed by all parties involved.

The attorney must submit a written report to the court within two working days. The court then has the authority to resolve any custody disputes that arise before the formal adoption occurs.

In any situation, a preplacement assessment is required. The child placing agency evaluates your family for potential adoption. If you have any concerns about the evaluation of your family, be sure to address them.  Make sure your family and home is appropriately represented.

Although the process can seem a bit more than you are used to and "people" are budding into your personal business, it is all par for the course.

If you would like more information on legal aspects and other factors in Michigan, go to:

If you would like more encouragement or have suggestions for articles, contact this Examiner at




  • Johnny Manziel
    Should Johnny Manziel apologize for his hard partying over the offseason?
    Today's Buzz
  • Crop circles
    Similar crop circles appeared in Germany and England within days of each other
    19 Photos
  • Advanced placement
    The AP program is gaining traction as a key component in college admissions
    5 Photos
  • Beach hats
    Beat the heat with the best summer beach hats for women
    Beach Hats
  • Expectations for ministry
    Pastor preaches to newly ordained ministers about expectations for ministry
    6 Photos
  • Medical symptoms
    See which symptoms should cause you to seek a doctor’s attention right away
    6 Photos