You don’t have to go to Austin, LA, NYC or Nashville to hear great music. No siree, not when you live in the Phoenix Metro area where there's a substantial pool of talented musicians to tap into. The Tempe Center for the Arts (TCA) does its fair share of showcasing all that talent with programs like Walk-in Wednesdays Open Mic Night, Finally Friday, In the Spotlight and the biannual Songwriters’ Showcase.
Songwriters’ Showcase takes place twice a year and features a regional headliner who is joined by selected performers from the Walk-in Wednesdays Open Mic Night series. The show is taped for television and can be viewed on the Internet. This Friday, May 23, the XI Songwriters’ Showcase will feature Arizona Blues Hall of Fame member Chuck Hall. Originally from Texas, Hall moved to Arizona in 1984 and has become a prominent part of Arizona’s music scene. He has opened shows for Albert Collins, B.B. King, Johnny Winter, Albert King, Willie Dixon, Robert Cray, Gregg Allman, the Fabulous Thunderbirds and many others. He has written more than 100 songs and won Best Blues Guitarist in Arizona two years in a row. Six of Hall's songs were featured in Season 5 of FX’s hit drama series “Justified.” His song, “Young Boy,” was selected Best Song by Soundboard magazine. Hall’s most recent recordings include a two-disc compilation CD and the Live in Sweden disc.
Songwriters’ Showcase XI will also include three upcoming Arizona singer/songwriters Adam Esrick, Dezi “Dez” Strada and Amanda Soares. Each has performed at TCA’s In the Spotlight and Walk-in Wednesdays Open Mic Night.
Yes, temps are on the rise, but you’ll find lots of great arts and culture events to keep you cool in Tempe this week. Check out this list and visit the Tempe Tourism Office Calendar of Events, or call 480-894-8158 to view a complete listing of Tempe events.
- May 22: Performance with a View: Violinist Xiaolin Li & Pianist Thomas Nixon, Tempe Center for the Arts
- May 22: Todd Miller: Border Patrol Nation, Changing Hands Bookstore
- May 22-25: Mitch Fatel, Tempe Improv
- May 23: Movies in the Park – Monsters University, Kiwanis Park
- May 23: Songwriters’ Showcase XI: Chuck Hall; Sci-Fi Friday: Stories Co-Lab, Finally Friday: Justin Olson; Class Clowns, Tempe Center for the Arts
- May 23: The Jake Dean Band; May 24: West Hills Brothers, Tempe Marketplace District Stage
- May 23: Ben Scolaro; May 24: Nick Jensen, Tempe Marketplace Barnes & Noble Fountain
- May 23: Narcoleptic Spiders; May 24: Sea Merchants, Rula Bula Irish Pub
- May 24: Fetish Prom 2014, Marquee Theater
- May 24: Gert The Joke Lady, Tempe Center for the Arts
- May 24: New Brothers, Lucille’s Smokehouse Bar-B-Que
- May 24 & 25: Trevor Jones, Rula Bula Irish Pub
- May 24-25: Childsplay Presents Schoolhouse Rock Live, Tempe Center for the Arts
- May 25: Tempe Community Market, Under the 202 Bridge at 620 N. Mill