You’ll have no problem finding a great variety of art, culture and entertaining events in Tempe, including a big one at ASU Gammage, which continues to bring great musical theatre to the Arizona. This weekend you can catch the Broadway blockbuster, Memphis. Inspired by actual events, Memphis takes place in Memphis, Tennessee in the 1950′s and is about a white radio DJ who wants to change the world and a black club singer who is ready for her big break. Along the way, the two fall in love, which was totally taboo in that time and place. Memphis has a great story line, is full of rousing music and electrifying dancing and is sure to be one show not to be missed. Not surprisingly, it won four 2012 Tony Awards, including Best Original Score and Best Musical.
There are plenty more arts and cultural events to enjoy in Tempe this weekend. View a complete listing of Tempe events, or call 480-894-8158 for more information.
- March 7-10: Memphis, ASU Gammage
- March 7: Music on Mill, Mill Avenue District
- March 7: Tim Hawley, Rula Bula
- March 8: Tempe Comedy Concert Series: Ken Kaz, Tempe Center for the Arts
- March 8: Talia Favia: The Difference Between Sinking and Drowning, Tempe Center for the Arts
- March 8: The Sugar Thieves Desert Botanical Garden
- March 8: Los Guys Featuring Mark Zubia; March 9: Jeff Hunt Band, Tempe Marketplace District Stage
- March 8: Michael Ferraro; March 9: STRONG devoted, Tempe Marketplace Barnes & Noble Fountain
- March 8: Ten Years; March 9: Matt & Kim, Marquee Theater
- March 8: Resonation; March 9: Traveler, Rula Bula
- March 9: Afternoon Family Art Workshop with Mitch Fry; An Evening with Karrin Allyson, Tempe Center for the Arts
- March 9: Stu Siefert Combo, Robbie Fox’s Public House
- March 9: Arizona Aloha Festival, Tempe Beach Park/Tempe Town Lake