A 14-year old boy in Massachusetts died of carbon monoxide poisoning after he tried to stay warm during the northeast blizzard. According to a Los Angeles Times report on Feb. 9, the teen was pronounced dead at a local hospital.
The teen had been shoveling snow with his father in Boston. He stopped to warm up in the car. Snow blocked the exhaust pipe and the boy breathed in the deadly carbon monoxide. A neighbor had started CPR on the teen, but he passed away after going into cardiac arrest.
“This is such a sad story,” Lori Patterson, from Bethany, said. “This kind of news always makes me cry. It could have been anyone, including my own children.”
Although the blizzard is now over, danger from the winter storm still exists. Residents are being urged to remove snow from around the exhaust pipes of their cars before starting their vehicles. They are also being told to use flashlights instead of candles and to not use generators inside their homes.
The blizzard has moved out to sea. Before moving on, it dumped two to three feet of snow on the north coast.