The excitement of the Winter Olympics will be on display in cities across the U.S.A. The United States Olympic Committee has scheduled a nationwide tour of athlete presentations and demonstrations to show what U.S. Olympic winter sports athletes can do best and share team spirit with the American public.
The spectacular launch will be a 100 Day Countdown Celebration at Times Square in New York City. Broadway may never be the same. The U.S. Olympic Committee has launched a creative partnership with Pilobolus, a modern performance company. Its team specializes in producing inventive, athletic performance works for stage and screen. The performances trademark is use of the human body as a medium for expression. At the 100 Day Countdown Celebration, Pilobolus and the USOC will screen a film on the iconic Times Square billboards that celebrates human achievement through the sports of the Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games.
The New York City 100 Day Countdown Celebration will take place on October 29. Following special events for the media, sponsors and local students, there will be an evening of excitement for the general public from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. All events in New York City and the rest of the program are free! The event calendar following New York City is:
- Nov. 2-3 Minneapolis, Minnesota: Mall of America USOC Road to Sochi Tour
- Nov. 14-16 Fargo, North Dakota: U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Curling
- Dec. 7-8 Dallas, Texas: Klyde Warren Park Children’s Holiday Parade
- Dec. 28-29 Park City, Utah: Olympic Park U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Nordic Combined & Ski Jumping
- Jan. 3-4 Kearns, Utah: Olympic Oval U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Speedskating: Short Track
- Jan. 10-12 Boston, Massachusetts: U.S. Figure Skating Championships
- Jan. 18 Las Vegas, Nevada: 2014 Continental Cup of Curling
- Jan. 25-26 Atlanta, Georgia: Atlantic Station USOC Road to Sochi Tour
- Feb. 7 Los Angeles, California: L.A. LIVE USOC Road to Sochi Tour
- Feb. 15 Vail, Colorado: Solaris Square USOC Road to Sochi Tour
- Feb. 19-20 Chicago, Illinois: NBC Plaza USOC Road to Sochi Tour
- Feb. 23 New York, New York: Grand Central Terminal USOC Road to Sochi Welcome Home Celebration
For many Americans in Sunbelt cities like Atlanta and Los Angeles, this will be a rare opportunity to experience the invigorating environment of winter sports. Planned demonstrations include a curling strip, a hockey slap shot test, a street luge ramp and a cross-country roller ski course. Photography buffs will be sure to want to add the ski jump and bobsled photo props to their lists.