As reported earlier today, various reports had stated that Floyd Mayweather, fresh off of his victory over Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez last month, had selected Amir Khan as his next opponent for his return to the ring in May of 2014.
And while the news spread like wildfire on social networking sites, Team Khan have since stepped forward and denied the talks, focusing the attention to a Dec. 7 showdown with Devon Alexander.
In a statement released to BoxingScene.com, Team Khan issued the following.
“Team Khan would like to dispel recent reports that Amir Khan has pulled out of a potential matchup against welterweight champion Devon Alexander on December 7th, taking up a fight against Floyd Mayweather in May of next year instead.
Contrary to the story, Amir Khan is currently in training camp in San Francisco with the aim of fighting again in December against Alexander once an agreement can be reached.”
Bonus exclusives: Brandon Rios mitt work as he trains for Pacquiao / Robert Garcia reacts to Pacquiao bringing back Justin Fortune / Tim Bradley already 152 pounds for Marquez fight / Floyd Sr. says his son is a different man since being out of jail / Nonito Donaire says Austin Trout can give Mayweather a fight / Roger Mayweather not worried about Angel Garcia
Chavez-Vera Fight Night Coverage: Brandon Rios had Chavez-Vera a draw; wouldn't mind rematch / Tim Bradley says Julio needs to decide if boxing is really for him / Robert Garcia says Chavez landed the better punches on Vera, deserved to win / Brian Vera wants a rematch with Chavez 'I'd love to do it again'
Chris Robinson can be reached at Trimond@aol.com