Giving teenagers a positive home environment has been linked to their future success in relationships, according to a press release from Association for Psychological Science (APS) on Jan. 30.
Researchers from the University of Texas at Dallas examined longitudinal data which determined teenagers who came from homes with positive engagements [interactions] had healthy marriages 17 years later.
A surprising and unexpected result of the study also revealed that the spouses of these former teenagers showed less hostility in the relationships, as well.
The researchers surmised the teens later sought out partners who were similar in what they expected out of relationships.
Positive engagements were identified as listener responsiveness, assertiveness, prosocial behavior, effective communication and warmth-support.
How to teach teens
- Listener responsiveness is actively engaging in conversations with your teen. It is when parents respond appropriately by the 'give and take' oral discussions.
- Effective communication is being able to talk to your teen by sharing honest and open thoughts within the teen's understanding.
- Assertiveness should not be confused with aggression. Being assertive is setting rational boundaries with your teen. Passive parenting is allowing the teen to set the ground rules which is not advised. Being an assertive parent is enforcing boundaries that are reasonable for your teen.
- Prosocial behavior is characterized by respecting the rights and feelings of your teen. This includes an empathetic concern resulting in actions that will help or benefit the teens.
- Warmth-support can be considered as a caring 'I got your back' attitude. Parents are encouraged to form a healthy attachment with their teens to show they will be there for them in any situation.
The findings suggest giving your teen positive attention in the home environment to teach (role model) her/him how to have a healthy relationship later.
Self Awareness articles from Fran
Behavior & Discipline articles from Fran
Relationship Counseling articles from Fran