Taxing away your civil rights

Comments

• Stuart 5 years ago

I was at the Columbus State House 2nd Amendment rally on Saturday legally armed as usual. I found the crowd there of 350 plus Ohio folks with their firearms to be most friendly, polite, and respectful of me, the police, and the speakers. It was a wonderful day to carry the flag and I am saddened to think it almost did not happen. Thank you Daniel and the others who worked so hard to create that opportunity to gather in Columbus. Nice day. See everyone in DC!

• Otter 5 years ago

The Ohio Constitution, in 1.03, states "The people have the right to assemble together, in a peaceable manner, to consult for their common good; to instruct their representatives; and to petition the general assembly for the redress of grievances." No where does it say that the people have to pay for police protection. This is a violation of the people's civil rights. The City and it's Mayor and Council members, need to be sued in State Court for this direct violation of the State's Constitution. I say screw the City and hold the gathering. If arrested, then sue the police department for false arrest and the City and it's leaders for violation of civil rights. I'm sure the ACLU would jump on this.

• gxb 5 years ago

You gotta know this is coming from the socialists...

In the "holy name" of reducing health care costs, all gun owners must buy an insurance policy on each gun they own. This policy can ONLY be bought from the government, and would be several thousands of dollars for each gun.

They can't confiscate our firearms directly, so they'll go 'round the back way and make them unaffordable.

It's the Chicago way..

• Becky, Clev. Family Examiner 5 years ago

I just read the full story of your "ordeal" in dealing with the states' permit rules. I had no idea that our State's leaders were that out of touch with reality. Right to assemble - Right to bear arms - These are BASIC freedoms that Americans have! They are plain, simple, and pure. To try to take these away from the people is shocking!

• Lori 5 years ago

Daniel,

It is people like you who are a helping others without most of them even realizing it! Organizing and fighting for the BASIC right to have this rally and being able to write about it as well is something, sad to say, we Americans NEED most right now in our country.

• Flavet 5 years ago

I'm a true geezer (1928) and a product of the Deep South; oh, and my skin is extremely pale especially now that I've left the Florida sunshine behind. For years now, I've likened any price laid by the state on the exercise of constitutional rights not dissimilarly to the detestable poll taxes levied to assure that "my" class would exercise control of the government into eternity. I think Daniel's piece here is just about the first I've seen equating the two situations.

What a privilege we latter-day gun owners have to experience the degradation that must have been felt by our "colored" brethren in the Good Old Days. Our time will come, just as theirs has.

• mickey 5 years ago

If the demand was illegal, why not pay up, thus gaining standing to sue for a refund?

• straightarrow 5 years ago

since the restrictions were illegal, why not simply ignore them? Then refuse, as a body, to submit to illegal arrest. Let them open the dance, then step on their feet.

• straightarrow 5 years ago

Yeah, yeah, I know! We are trying to prove we are peaceful. that is wrongheaded. They need to know we are only peaceful when not trespassed.

In my life I have been threatened many times. Early on, I tried reason. Had to fight every damned time. Later, my response was "Bring it on, I have no reason to not hurt you if you do." Only one time did I have to fight after adopting that stance. We gain nothing by cooperating or signalling our peaceful intentions to those who would violate our peace to rule us. They need to fear we mean it, when we say "NO!"

• jaime 5 years ago

This is really really good reporting. I had no idea that this was happening, mostly because I don't live in your state. It is vital that these various struggles reach a WIDE audience. Thank you for this...I will pass the info widely.