It seems as though there is an app for everything you'd ever dream of and now that dream includes tax preparation. As W2s and other important tax documents now are arriving in mailboxes, and you may be getting ready to do your taxes.
Mobile resources downloaded to smartphones and tablets can help taxpayers find answers to frequently asked questions, fill out tax forms, estimate returns and track refunds. They include:
- TurboTax SnapTax – This app lets you prepare and file state and federal income taxes from the palm of your hand. Simply use your smartphone to snap a photo of your W-2, fill out a few quick questions, review and submit. (The app is free, but it does cost $14.99 to file your taxes.) (Android and Apple devices)
- IRS2Go – First introduced last year by the Internal Revenue Service, this app lets taxpayers sign up for helpful tax tips or check on the status of their federal refund. (Android and Apple devices)
- H & R Block Mobile – Tap into more than 50 years of tax experience from H&R Block and get immediate answers to some of the most commonly asked questions, view a checklist to determine what documents you need and quickly estimate your refund. (Android and Apple devices)
- TaxCaster – (By TurboTax) Want to know how big your refund will be? Answer a few quick and easy questions and find out how much you're going to get back or how much you will owe Uncle Sam this year. (Android and Apple devices)
- My TaxRefund – (By TurboTax) This app tracks e-filed federal tax returns and lets you know when you'll get your money. It also will let you know if your return is accepted or rejected by the IRS. (Android and Apple platforms)
If you try any of these, leave your feedback on how it went.