Target offers a discount to shoppers in an effort to make things better following a major security breach. On Dec. 21, ABC News reported that Target CEO, Gregg Steinhafel let the public know that the breach has been dealt with and eliminated and that shoppers should feel safe to use their credit cards at Target stores moving forward.
"Most importantly, we want to reassure guests that they will not be held financially responsible for any credit and debit card fraud. And to provide guests with extra assurance, we will be offering free credit monitoring services. We will be in touch with those impacted by this issue soon on how and where to access the service," said Mr. Steinhafel.
News that Target offers a discount post-breach rubbed some people the wrong way. A 10% discount, for some, doesn't make up for the stress and hassle that they had to deal with when they learned that their personal information had been compromised. At the same time, other shoppers were happy to hear that the problem has been taken care of and that credit card companies are being cooperative when it comes to getting things straightened out.
As previously reported, Target's Red Card website and 800 number were overloaded and Mr. Steinhafel apologized for that. He said that the 10% discount was an apology for the abnormally high call volume and subsequent frustration.
Target didn't have to offer a discount, so even though it's only 10%, it is still a nice gesture and many customers appreciate that they are being heard and taken care of.
© Effie Orfanides 2013