According to a Jan. 4 report from MMA Junkie, hard-hitting welterweight contender Tarec Saffiedine (15-3 MMA, 1-0 UFC) ravaged Hyun Gyu Lim (12-4-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC) with leg kicks in the main event of UFC Fight Night 34.
The damage caused by Saffiedine was so bad that Lim almost quit on the stool following the fourth round.
Saffiedine ended up winning via unanimous decision, but Lim was basically fighting on one leg by the time the fifth round started.
“At the end of the fourth round, there was some conversation to that effect,” Lim told MMAjunkie through a translator at the post-event news conference for UFC Fight Night 34, referring to the possibility of calling it a day after Round Four.
UFC Fight Night 34 went down at Marina Bay Sands Expo and Convention Centre in Singapore, and it was the promotion's first trip to the country.
By all accounts, it was a massive success and Lim is grateful for the opportunity.
“This was an absolute golden opportunity for me to be featured in a main event,” Lim said. “As part of the main event, I wanted to put on the best possible performance. That was my No. 1 goal, and probably the only goal I had. I feel I accomplished that goal.”
Saffiedine and Lim were both awarded $50,000 bonuses for “Fight of the Night” following their five-round epic battle.
Lim admits Saffiedine remained cool, calm and composed throughout the bout, which possibly led to the fight going down as it did.
“I think during the fight, maybe I might have gotten too excited and Saffiedine was actually very calm and was able to carry out the fight much better than I was,” Lim said. “My corner gave me the confidence that I could keep going. I was pushing as though this was the last moment. I really wanted to continue and finish it.
Here's a look at the full UFC Fight Night 34 results:
- Kyung Ho Kang def. Shunichi Shimizu via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 3, 3:53
- Tarec Saffiedine def. Hyun Gyu Lim via unanimous decision -- (49-46, 48-47x2)
- Tatsuya Kawajiri def. Sean Soriano via technical submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 0:50
- Kiichi Kunimoto def. Luiz Dutra via disqualification (illegal elbows) – Round 1, 2:57
- Max Holloway def. Will Chope via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 2:27
- Katsunori Kikuno def. Quinn Mulhern via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Royston Wee def. David Galera via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26)
- Mairbek Taisumov def. Tae Hyun Bang via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Dustin Kimura def. Jon Delos Reyes via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 2:13
- Russell Doane def Leandro Issa via submission (triangle choke) – Round 2, 4:59