The 911 calls made during the massacre last year at Sandy Hook Elementary School were released by police Wednesday.
According to the Los Angeles Times, the first of the seven calls came through at roughly 9: 35 a.m. on Dec. 14.
USA Today reported that the Associated Press had being fighting for the release of those emergency calls, which were made when 20-year-old Adam Lanza killed 20 students and six staff members at the school in Newtown, Conn. before taking his own life. It was later revealed that he murdered his mother before the rampage.
State authorities, however, argued that releasing the calls would simply harm the city which has been attempting to recover from the horrific event.
But the release of the tapes was announced last week.
"Delaying the release of the audio recordings, particularly where the legal justification to keep them confidential is lacking, only serves to fuel speculation about and undermine confidence in our law enforcement officials," said New Britain Superior Court Judge Eliot Prescott.
However, some media outlets such as ABC and NBC announced that they would not air the content of the tapes out of respect for the families of the victims.
Family members of some of the victims also stated that they would not listen to the tapes.
"The way we keep our sanity is to start ignoring this stuff," said Teresa Rousseau, whose lost her daughter, substitute teacher Lauren, in the massacre. "I think there's a big difference between secrecy and privacy. We have these laws so government isn't secret, not so we're invading victims' privacy."