Former Congressman Tom Tancredo, who has stirred up Colorado politics with his departure from the Republican Party and into the gubernatorial race, has published his pledge to Colorado voters on his campaign website. Called the Contract with Colorado, Tancredo states he will uphold the contract if elected in the November elections. "The contract with Colorado was written for the purpose of restoring faith in the system. People need to know that there are people who run for office for reasons other than to simply BE in office," stated Tancredo. "The contract is the reason I am running, not just a list of platitudes. Nor is it, as Dan Maes called it, ‘toilet paper.'"
Here is the full text of the contract:
1. I will veto any bill and oppose any referendum or initiative that seeks to increase state taxes, or temporarily or permanently relax any spending cap or Taxpayer Bill of Rights (TABOR) limit.
2. I will rescind the executive order unionizing state government, institute a meaningful hiring freeze, reduce the number of state employees by 2012, and reduce the amount of state expenditures associated with politically appointed positions, including the Governor's Office.
3. I will conduct a review of state departments, agencies, boards and commissions and seek to consolidate and eliminate them where appropriate.
4. I will veto, or refer to the public for a vote, any significant fee increase.
5. I will support legislation (modeled on the 2007 Arizona statute) requiring all private employers to verify the employment eligibility of all new hires through mandatory participation in the federal e-verify program.
6. I will work to reverse the massive increase in property taxes brought about by Governor Ritter's mill levy freeze, and the car tax imposed by SB 09-108
7. I will issue an executive order directing the Department of Local Affairs to thoroughly audit compliance with SB 06-90, and will order DOLA to deny state grants to any "sanctuary city" or any "sanctuary county."
8. I will veto any legislation that would curtail the constitutional right to keep and bear arms, and strenuously oppose any federal legislation or international treaty that may curtail that right.
9. I will support legislation, and revisions to state rules, that will promote the responsible development of all sources of energy, including wind, solar hydroelectric, oil, natural gas, coal and nuclear power.
10. I will support and promote efforts to expand school choice through additional charter schools and education vouchers.
11. I will oppose any federal stimulus bill that grows the federal deficit.
12. I will oppose any effort that seeks to roll back tort reforms.
13. I will oppose federal encroachments on states' rights protected by the Tenth Amendment.
14. I will reinstate the Owens era ban on Taxpayer funding for Planned Parenthood and other organizations that provide abortions, and I will support and defend the sanctity of human life.
15. I will support the establishment of a reserve "rainy day fund."
16. I will support the enactment of mandatory minimum prison sentences for child sex predators on the first offense.
17. I will appoint conservative judges who respect the Constitution and try to interpret laws, not make them.
18. I will support legislation designed to reduce the impact of the Business Personal Property Tax.
19. I will appoint reform-minded conservatives and new leaders who will bring a fresh perspective to state government.
20. I will support efforts to reinstate a meaningful limit on state spending.