Want to limit your exposure to UV radiation and still have a great tan? Follow these steps to a healthy sunless tan.
1. Exfoliate in the shower before you begin. Getting rid of those dead skin cells will enhance your tan by providing a fresh layer of skin cells and allowing the tanner to dry evenly.
2. Moisturize your ankles, knees, feet and elbows. The drier areas of your skin will look darker if you don't moisturize first.
3. Apply sunless tanner after showering and moisturizing. Make sure you dry off thoroughly before the application.
4. Don't shave before applying especially if you have sensitive skin. Try shaving the day before you plan to apply the tanner.
5. Wear disposable gloves or wash your hands every five minutes while applying the tanner.
6. Pay close attention to your hairline and behind your ears.
7. Don't get dressed until tanner is completely dried.
8. Try not to sweat for at least an hour after applying the tanner. This will give the tanner time to set.
Remember that sunless tanning solutions do not provide protection from the sun's UV rays. To keep that healthy, sun-kissed glow, apply sunscreen over your new tan.