There were many styles and smiles on the Oscars red carpet this year. From the brightest smiles to the latest fashions. From our televisions sets we saw it all. Recently I caught up with Jeannie Mai host of "How do I look" on The Style network for an interview, and she shared with me a few of her beauty favorites from the Oscars this year.
1. What are some of your favorite beauty styles seen on the Oscars red carpet this season?
- Less makeup, more skin. Loved the dewy finishes on celebs' skin and the focus on lashes and berry stained lips.
2. There were many gleaming smiles on the red carpet this season....what products were behind those smiles?
The celebs’ smiles were their best accessories out there! I don’t know what they used, but I personally like to use the Colgate Optic White Regimen – by just using the toothbrush, toothpaste and mouthwash twice a day, you can see a difference in just five days! Also, blue based lip colors in rouge, berry, pink, and melon helped to make teeth bright and pearly white.
3. What were some of the hottest beauty accessories this year?
Jewelry was very understated. Drop necklaces, delicate bracelets, diamonds were soft and subtle. Anne Hathaway had a feminine floral necklace that lay just at the neckline of her dress, Jennifer Lawrence created a unique drop down the back of her dress with a reversed low hang necklace. Tennis bracelets were certainly popular among the stars, along with rose gold and pave crusted rings.
4. What would you say was the biggest fashion no no seen at the Oscars this year?
I didn't particularly love the fit of Anne Hathaway's dress. She looked gorgeous, the dress itself was a classic flute. It was just the darting of the bustling that I felt didn't fit as best as it could.
5. What is your biggest tip for putting together a red carpet wardrobe?
What's most important is to feel 100 % comfortable in your skin. Make sure what you're wearing has a symbolic meaning to you. When Jessica Chastain said that her dress made her feel like royalty the moment she put it on, that dress absolutely made her stand like a princess for the night.
6. What would be your biggest beauty tip for men?
I love when a man breaks out of the standard black and blue suits. Mix it up with textured blazers, sheen fabrics, hologram ties and bow ties and of course fun socks! Nothing says I'm confident like a man who looks dapper and daring.
7. What is an essential beauty product for you?
I always need to finish my look with sexy false lashes. Whether just a few on the ends or an entire strip, they have a come hither look that you can't get with any other touch of makeup.
8. As far as makeup for red carpet.....do you think less is better?
I think well applied makeup will do the trick. It's not necessarily the amount that makes makeup considered "less" worn, but it's the amount you can tell has been applied. Finger dappling for creme shadows is key, foundation only where you need it, these things can help.
9. If you were giving out an award for the best smile this year, who would that award go to?
I'm kind of obsessed with any kind, genuine smile. I saw many on the carpet this year- Reese, JLaw, Kerry, Zoe...all the women and men stood out with their own signature smile.
10. Who would you say had the best style?
Well first off I give a round of applause to the hard working stylists who put so much time and effort into every detail! It is the work of the stylists that a winning ensemble can really then take all the credit. With that said I think the team that put together Halle Berry's look in that stunning Studio 53 art deco dress stole the night.