National Talk Like a Pirate Day is September 19, 2013. Celebrate this annual event with free printable pirate coloring pages, craft ideas and a free Krispy Kreme doughnut for you and your swashbuckling little pirate.
Making quick and easy pirate-themed crafts, like a treasure map or a Jolly Roger flag, are even more fun when children can learn a little "pirate speak" from the list of kid-friendly words below. Before long they will be telling you to "walk the plank, scallywag!"
Learning to talk like a pirate will also come in handy if you get hungry while celebrating Pirate Day. Krispy Kreme Doughnuts is giving away a free glazed doughnut to anyone who stops by and talks like a pirate on September 19.
A simple "Yo Ho!" or "Ahoy Matey!" will score you one free doughnut, but if you decide to dress up in full pirate attire, you will walk away with a free dozen.
Wondering how this holiday started? Back in 1995, John Baur (Ol’ Chumbucket) and Mark Summers (Cap’n Slappy) of Albany, Oregon proclaimed the 19th September as the day when everyone in the world should talk like a pirate. It caught on and has been widely celebrated by pirate fans every year since then.
How to Talk Like a Pirate
- Avast: A nautical term meaning “What’s up?” or “What are you doing?”
- Sea Dog: Experienced sailor.
- Jolly Roger: The pirate flag with its skull and crossbones.
- Scallywag: Bad person.
- Piece of Eight: Spanish silver coin, often cut into pieces to make change.
- Walk the Plank: A dire punishment in which one must walk off a wooden board on the side of a ship and fall into the ocean.
- Doubloon: A gold coin minted by Spain or Spanish colonies, worth about seven weeks’ pay for an average sailor.
- Shiver Me Timbers: An expression of surprise or fear.
Pirate-Themed Coloring Pages, Puzzles and Craft Ideas
- PrintActivities.com has plenty of pirate-themed printable puzzles, mazes, dot-to-dot games, and coloring pages.
- BusyBeeKidPrintable.com has several pirate word searches you can print.
- Kaboose has puzzles, online pirate games, crafts and printables.
- Family Fun has a pirate word scramble printable.
- ABCTeach.com has pirate coloring pages, word searches, crossword puzzles and word scrambles.
- DLTK Kids has instructions for making a treasure map. This is essential for every pirate.