According to a Sept. 13 report on USA Today, the Taliban has claimed responsibility for an attack on the U.S. consulate on Thursday in Kabul, Afghanistan, in the city of Herat. The attack, like most Taliban attacks, involved a car bomb and a subsequent gun battle. This attack comes shortly after the 12th anniversary of 9/11.
An Afghan translator was killed and several police were wounded. An estimated seven other civilians were initially reported to be wounded. But, within a few hours, the U.S. Ambassador to Afghanistan, James Cunningham, said that civilians and others on contract to the consulate had been killed or injured. Robert Hilton, a spokesperson for the embassy said that all consulate personnel are safe, however.
A State Department spokesperson describes the events, as reported in USA Today:
State Department deputy spokeswoman Marie Harf told said in a statement that the assault began around 5:30 a.m., when "a truck carrying attackers drove to the front gate, and attackers — possibly firing rocket propelled grenades and assault rifles — started firing at Afghan forces and security guards on the exterior of the gates. Shortly after, the entire truck exploded, extensively damaging the front gate."
The United States military presence in Afghanistan is being drawn down. These acts are being committed in what had previously been classified as the more peaceful areas of Afghanistan.