Weight loss, quitting smoking, being debt free. Let’s face it, we all know New Year’s resolutions can be difficult to maintain. So why not look at smaller, more attainable goals? I bet you’ve never considered oral health as part of your New Year’s resolution stories. But did you know some simple changes could impact your overall wellbeing?
You don’t have to revamp your entire life to improve your health. Small changes go a long way!
Popular health coach, Dr. Roshini Raj (Today show medical contributor, Health magazine medical editor), has teamed up with Colgate to provide simple steps to help people take charge of their health in the new year.
- Get Some Shut Eye – Be sure to clock between 7-8 hours of sleep every night. With the proper amount of sleep, you should feel more alert and won’t rely on snacking to keep you awake throughout the day. Need help drifting off to dreamland? Make your bedroom your sleep haven. Try some lavender pillow spray and soothing music. And decrease your caffeine intake close to bedtime.
- Give Your Mouth a Break – Most people don’t consider their oral health, which is a vital component to one’s overall health. Proper oral care goes beyond just fresh breath. Look for toothpaste that helps improve the overall health of your mouth. Colgate Total® has a unique formula that kills germs and improves the health of your gums, enamel and mouth in as little as four weeks.
- Disconnect – Put away the TV remote and other gadgets. Disconnect and spend some time reading or taking a walk in the local park. Try to get in 90 minutes of technology-free time every day.
- Don’t Slouch – Working in front of a computer all day can cause carpal tunnel syndrome and poor posture. Sit up straight and remember to get up and take a short walk every 30 minutes. Try yoga outside of work to help maintain good posture.
- Bring the Gym – When traveling, it can be hard to stay active and hit the gym. Pack a jump rope or resistant bands to work out in your hotel room. Or ask the hotel if there is other portable workout equipment they can bring to your room for a personal workout session.
- Brush Up – Selecting the right toothbrush can make all the difference. The Colgate® 360o® Total® Advanced Floss-Tip Bristles Toothbrush is designed with a compact head and tapered bristles that provide 4x deeper reach The purple-ended tapered bristles gently reach deep between teeth and along the gumline, while the cheek and tongue cleaner removes odor-causing bacteria.
- Swap Out Take Out – Replace one night of fast food or take out with fresh veggies and lean protein like fish or turkey. Make sure you have a colorful plate. Include vegetables like dark leafy greens, eggplants, tomatoes and bell peppers for a rich and diverse meal.
- The Doctor Is In – Many of us just go to the doctor when we aren’t feeling well. Schedule a doctor’s visit when you are feeling fine to get in your annual physical and check up.