Looking for a tailgating recipe for this Saturday's Michigan game against Indiana?
Eli and Max Sussman, authors of "Freshman in the Kitchen," offered up this tasty tater: Potato skins in the microwave, which they say is a hit with the drinking crowd. Prepare them at home and then bring them to the party!
4 large potatoes
1–2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded or broken into small pieces
3 tablespoons Bacon Bits or 3 diced cooked bacon slices, 1/4-inch pieces
2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
garlic powder (optional)
sour cream (optional)
1. Cut potatoes into wedges, lengthwise, 2 or 4 pieces depending on the size of the potato. Place in microwave-safe dish filled with water to cover potatoes.
2. Cook on high heat for 7 minutes.
3. Remove and test for doneness by poking with a knife. If you cannot scoop out the inside of the potato, return to microwave on high for 1 minute at a time until finished.
4. Scoop out the potato so 1/4-inch thickness remains around shell of potato.
5. Sprinkle cheese over the top and return to microwave for 1–2 minutes, until cheese is melted.
6. Remove and sprinkle with Bacon Bits, green onion and top with a shake of garlic powder and a dollop of sour cream, if desired.