If you have a dog or cat suffering from anxiety, you may want to consider using some special hormones to help settle your pet down. Pheromone products are available for both dogs and cats that can help reassure their sense of well-being.
Adaptil for dogsAdaptil is a synthetic product that mimics the properties of the natural pheromones of the lactating female. It’s available in a collar form, electric diffuser or spray. Here are a few situations that Adaptil could help.
- Separation anxiety: physical separation from the owner to whom it is attached.
- New people/things: moving or major changes in the household, remodeling or redecorating, new pieces of furniture.
- Fear/phobias: thunderstorms, lightning, fireworks.
- Temporary changes: being transported, hospitalized or boarded.
Feliway for cats
Feliway is a synthetic copy of the feline facial pheromone, used by cats to mark their territory as safe and secure. By mimicking the cat's natural facial pheromones, Feliway creates a state of familiarity and security in the cat's local environment.
Offered in two convenient forms, electronic diffuser and spray, Feliway can be used to help comfort and reassure cats while they cope with a challenging situation and help prevent or reduce the stress caused by a change in their environment. It reduces or eliminates several behaviors, including:
- Urine marking
- Anxiety related aggression
- Stress reduction at the veterinarian, groomer, kennel or while traveling
- Scratching on vertical surfaces
Pet owners can purchase Adaptil and Feliway through their veterinarian.