Irritable bowel syndrome affects a lot of people worldwide. Because of this, it is important that everyone knows the symptoms that this condition brings.
First of all, we will first tackle IBS in general. Here are some facts that you need to know about this disease.
• IBS is a very common gut disorder.
• Up to now, the cause of IBS is not known. Studies are still being conducted to know the etiology and triggering factors.
• The treatment and medications of IBS are all geared for the managements of symptoms.
• There is no way to prevent the condition.
• It is more common in women than men.
Now that we have an overview of what irritable bowel syndrome is, we will now tackle the most common symptoms it can bring.
• The most common symptom is abdominal pain and discomfort. This pain is usually relieved by a bowel movement. The length of time the pain may be felt varies from one person to another.
• You may also experience bloating and even swelling in the abdomen.
• At least 3 bowel movements per day or less than 3 times per week.
• Loose or hard stool. Stool may also have mucus.
• Other symptoms that may be seen include muscle pain, backache, loss of appetite, belching and headache. In some cases, some people may also experience irritable bladder symptoms.
ALARMING SIGNS THAT YOU SHOULD VISIT THE DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY
You should visit the doctor right away if you have one or more of the following symptoms:
• Blood in the stool
• Pale and bulky stool
• Your age is 40 years old and above
• Fever and signs of infection
• Sudden weight loss
• Night symptoms such as sudden awakening at night