Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Sydney release pressure in Perth win

A-League 2013-14 Round 19: Sydney FC v Perth Glory-slide0
Photo by Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images

With two of the most out-of-form teams in the competition meeting, the pressure was going to tell but it was Sydney FC who got the win, putting a week of turmoil behind them and defeating Perth Glory 2-1 at Allianz Stadium.

Sydney FC players celebrate a goal
Photo by Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images

Sasa Ognenovski made his debut for Sydney FC after returning to the A-League from Qatar but his inclusion did little in the early stages which were scrappy from both sides.

Sydney opened the scoring in the 17th minute as the Ranko Despotovic, Alessandro Del Piero partnership worked again with Del Piero finding Despotovic who hit a calm shot past Danny Vukovic to open the scoring.

That goal did little to spark Sydney as it was Perth who had the next opportunity, coming from the fun, and rare, indirect free-kick in the box.

With Sydney putting all 11 men on the goal-line it was always going to be tough for Shane Smeltz and after the initial touch he had a shot but it was charged down by the Sydney defense, clearing it to safety.

The ball fell out to Sidnei but he held on to the ball too long, with the Sydney defense struggling to get out, allowing them enough time to close him down.

Darvydas Sernas should have had an equalizer when he was played through on the spot but blasted his effort over. Despite that William Gallas nearly made up for it moments later as a corner found the Designated Player only for Del Piero to head clear off the line.

Coming in to the break the gaps started opening in an end to end encounter but both goalkeepers were up to the task, keeping it 1-0 to Sydney at the break.

Perth started the second half well, yet for all their hard work they struggled to get past Vedran Janjetovic in the Sydney goal.

Sydney made Perth pay for missing that chance as Terry Antonis beat a defender and the hit a perfectly curled strike, from the top of the box, to make it 2-0 with 26 minutes to play.

Perth got right back in to the match three minutes later Nebojsa Marinkovic sent a free-kick in that perfectly found Rostyn Griffiths, who headed home, scraping the bar on the way in.

Perth were handed another chance late in the match when Aaron Calver was shown his second yellow, but by then it was too late, Perth were unable to pull a goal back as Sydney held on for a 2-1 win.

For all the latest Australian Football news please subscribe and follow the writer on twitter.

Report this ad