Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Sydney hold Brisbane Roar

A-League 2013-14 Round 23: Sydney FC v Brisbane Roar-slide0
Photo by Joosep Martinson/Getty Images

Brisbane Roar may well have to wait longer to seal their Premiership as they could only manage a 1-1 draw with Sydney FC at Allianz Stadium on Friday night.

Sydney FC celebrate Seb Ryall's goal
Photo by Joosep Martinson/Getty Images

Alessandro Del Piero was out for Sydney FC and so the hosts struggled to really create clear cut chances, missing the Italian's work.

Despite that Sydney FC could well have had the lead in just the second minute as Seb Ryall was able to pressure Thomas Broich in to a mistake, blocking his clearance back towards goal but was denied by a great Michael Theo save.

But Brisbane quickly took control and very nearly had an opener as Broich was left unmarked to receive a Jack Hingert cross but his far-post header was too easy for Vedran Janjetovic to save.

Just three minutes later Brisbane did get their lead as Luke Brattan crossed in for Broich on the left wind, allowing him to cross in for Besart Berisha who caught Nikola Petkovic out of position to get a looping header away that looped over Janjetovic to open the scoring.

Despite that Sydney FC managed to find an equalizer in the 35th minute through an impressive Petkovic free-kick.

Petkovic's corner found Ryall who was able to run on to the ball and hit a header that beat Theo, causing wild celebrations for the supporters.

In the 40th minute Berisha was shown a straight red card as he and Ryall collided, with Berisha seeming to be felled by retaliation from Ryall but was shown a red card following Peter O'Leary's discussion with his assistant, leaving Berisha bemused and petulant.

That saw Roar down to ten men at the break, but still level on the score board as they were looking to hold on for a point to edge closer to the premiership.

Despite being a man down in to the second half Brisbane Roar were actually the more dominant side in the second half, controlling much of the possession in the second half.

Despite that Brisbane struggled to really have a lot of chances as they were missing Berisha's imposing finishing, resulting in the match remaining dead-locked.

Sydney had their best chance in the 73rd minute as Ali Abbas hit a powerful effort from distance but it went agonizingly wide of goal.

That seemed to spark plenty of action for the final 20 minutes as Liam Miller had a chance in the 80th minute, getting around Sas Ognenovski but hit his effort well over the bar.

Janjetovic had to be at his best in the closing stages as Brattan and Henrique both had solid chances to win it but were denied by Janjetovic.

In stoppage time Sydney FC nearly found a winner as Petkovic took a late free-kick that went just wide, keeping it 1-1 at full time.

For all the latest Australian Football news please subscribe or follow the writer on twitter.

Report this ad