Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Sydney FC crushed by Newcastle United in first Football United match

Football United 2014: Sydney FC v Newcastle United-slide0
Photo by Hagen Hopkins/Getty Images

The opening match of the Football United New Zealand tour has not gone well for the A-League as Sydney FC were dispatched by Newcastle United in Dunedin on Tuesday night.

Newcastle United celebrate another goal
Photo by Rob Jefferies/Getty Images

It was an emotional match for Newcastle United, the first time they had played since the death of two fans aboard MH17 which was tragically shot down over the Ukraine/Russia border last week, prompting a minutes silence and the laying of a wreath by the club in memory of their fans.

Sydney FC had three new signings in their starting XI as Alex Gersbach, Alex Brosque and Bernie Ibini all started for their new manager and the match started fairly evenly.

But a horrible mistake from Ivan Necevski put an end to that as he couldn't do well with Nikola Petkovic's back-pass mis-hitting it allowing Siem de Jong to pounce and hit home the goal from distance.

Five minutes later and Newcastle United made it two a Yoan Gouffran sent in a cross, low in to the box, allowing Manu Riviere to simply pass the ball in to the back of the net, putting the English side 2-0 up.

The pain continued for Sydney FC as Newcastle United made it three within the first 30 minutes, when Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa saw his shot deflect off Sasa Ognenovski, leaving Necevski stranded.

Thankfully for Sydney FC the final 15 minutes of the half did not produce any more goals as the EPL side went in to the break 3-0 up.

The second half saw the match change, while Newcastle remained in control, both sides went regularly to their bench, which saw flow hard to come by.

15 minutes in to the second half Newcastle had the chance to make it four as Jack Colback sent in a corner, but his team mates in the area just could not get on the end of it.

After a number of changes Sydney FC had a rare chance as Corey Gameiro hit a curling strike that made the keeper scramble, keeping Sydney off the score sheet.

With time running out Newcastle put the icing on the cake as Ayoze Perez was able to put Adam Armstrong in to space, allowing him to turn and shoot to make it 4-0.

Report this ad