The interwebs are abuzz with rumors and links on links on links to shows, parties, and meet ups. That can only mean one thing: we are in Austin.
Just kidding, it means that SXSW Music 2013 is upon us! As always, I am anti-badge and anti-wristband. Unless you are in the music business, or happen to have $800 to blow, a badge is completely unnecessary. A wristband may be valuable if you are a die-hard fan of a certain band or performer, or dream of being in the same room as Dave Grohl.
If you don't fall into any of those categories, your options are nearly endless. As you start to scour the web, the parties may seem to go on forever. Though as the streets and venues become more crowded each year, parties and showcases become increasingly harder to get into. This means you have to plan ahead, get everywhere early, and generally be 21 years old. If you are not 21, your options are limited but not unheard of.
The following sites provide copious amounts of information to help you have a successful SXSW for little to no money.
- SXSFree- This is the site that I personally run. I post shows that are not only free, but feature larger name bands, up and coming bands, and talented local artists. I try to include all genres, and as much information as possible.
- Do512- Though not the easiest to navigate, Do512 is the go-to RSVP for many parties and showcases. The attendance numbers will give you a good idea of how popular a show is.
- Showlist Austin- One of my long time favorites, Showlist Austin is well organized and provides a relatively good amount of information about each show listed. The shows included are often smaller, though not always free.
- RSVPster- Pay them $30-$40 and they'll do all the work for you. Though I have heard that they only use shows that are on Do512 and often miss some of the smaller shows.
- SXShh - Similar to RSVPster, though cheaper. It has yet to launch, and is rumored to have been changed this year. Its worth checking out.
Have a site to add? Please let me know via email, Twitter, or comment! See you out and about, Austin!