Skip to main content

Sweet Tooth for Chocolate can be Fatal to your Dog

Easter's not a good time for a dog with a sweet tooth.
Easter's not a good time for a dog with a sweet tooth.susankers

It's sad but true-the candy we love most is toxic to dogs. For example, ten ounces of chocolate or one large candy bar can potentially kill a 22 lb dog. The dangerous components are caffeine and cherbrimind which over stimulate the nervous system and cause such signs as restlessness, vomiting, rapid heartbeat, seizures, coma and in some cases, death.

Treatment by a veterinarian to empty the stomach should be immediate. At home, give one teaspoon hydrogen peroxide per 10 lbs of body weight every fifteen minutes until vomiting occurs. If vomiting does not occur within a half hour, contact a veterinarian.

Comments