Have you ever had a great meal at a hotel restaurant and wondered what the ingredients were in the recipe so that you could replicate the meal and enjoy it at home? Sure you have. Well, the Broadmoor Hotel, here in Colorado Springs has a feature on their website called; Recipe of the Month. I thought it would be great for my readers if I paired the hotel's recipe with a tea so that you could have new, creative tea and food to use in entertaining your guests at home. The tea I selected for this dish is Sweet Honey Blend from MJB Teas. This is a black tea which is strong enough to go up against the peppers and onions. The sweetness of the honey brings out the flavor of the raspberrys in the ancho jam. Enjoy this pairing of tea and food outside in the garden or after a round of golf or a tennis match. It is light and filling at the same time and the tea helps to perk you back up after a busy morning of fun and recreation. A delightful way to wind down with friends. Here is the spring roll recipe taken from the Broadmoor website.
chicken & tosso spring rolls with Ancho Jam
Makes 12 Spring Rolls and 3 Cups of Jam
Spring Roll Ingredients:
- 1 lb. Chicken (small diced)
- 1 lb. Tasso Ham (small diced)
- 1 ea. Red, Yellow, Green Bell Pepper (small diced)
- 1 ea. Jalapeno (small diced)
- ½ cup Yellow Onion (small diced)
- ½ lb. Shredded Pepperjack Cheese
- ½ bunch Chopped Cilantro
- ½ tbl. Salt
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper
- 12 Spring Roll Wrappers
Ancho Jam Ingredients:
- ½ lb. Whole Ancho Chili Pepper (stems and seeds removed)
- 2 cups Raspberry Preserves
DIRECTIONS FOR SPRING ROLLS
- Mix all ingredients above (except Spring Roll Wrappers) in large bowl.
- Place 3 oz. of mixture in Spring Roll Wrapper, roll into wrapper and seal with egg wash*.
- To fry, preheat a large wok or fry pan. When hot, pour enough oil to completely cover the spring rolls. Heat to approximately 350 degrees. Carefully place the rolls into the oil. Do not crowd the pan or place the rolls on top of each other. Fry the spring rolls until filling is cooked, about 3 to 5 minutes on each side, turning often until they are nicely brown and crisp.
*Egg Wash - Lightly beat 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of milk together. In addition to being used as a glaze, an egg wash also seals flavor in. It can also be used on foods such as egg rolls to seal the dough so the inner ingredients do not spill out during the cooking process.
DIRECTIONS FOR ANCHO JAM
- Roast peppers at 350 degrees for 2 minutes in oven, then place in hot water until peppers are soft.
- Save liquid and place aside.
- Add chilies to food processor with jam and pulse.
- If needed, add reserved liquid after jam & chilis are well blended in order to get proper consistency of jam.
- Pass through strainer and chill.
Serve Spring Rolls with Jam and enjoy!
I will be doing more articles on pairing tea with local cuisine. If you own a restaurant or local hotel and would like your recipe to be featured, please contact me through this website. I look forward to working with you.