Today’s recipe is Sweet Chicken Tagine with Apricots and Caramelized Walnuts. The sweetness of apricots and honey and the savory of saffron, garlic and fresh herbs help create a wonderful dish. Serve this food goodness with cooked couscous or farro. Healthy and joyous eating!
Sweet Chicken Tagine with Apricots and Caramelized Walnuts (Recipe courtesy Jeff Koehler)
- 1 generous pinch saffron threads (about 20)
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- Kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 bone-in chicken drumsticks and 4 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed and excess fat trimmed
- 3 medium yellow or red onions, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise (5 cups)
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 5 oz. dried apricots (3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- Orange flower water (optional)
- 2/3 cup walnut halves (about 3 oz.)
In an 8-inch skillet, toast the saffron over medium heat, shaking the pan often, until a shade darker, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl, let cool, and then, using the back of a wooden spoon, crush the threads to release their flavor. Add the garlic, parsley, 1 Tbs. of the cilantro, the ginger, 1/4 tsp. salt, and a few grinds of pepper; stir to combine. Add the oil and 2 Tbs. water and stir until combined. One by one, add the chicken pieces to the marinade, turning to coat each one before adding the next. Cover and refrigerate, turning the pieces once or twice, for 30 minutes.
Scatter the onions over the bottom of an 11- to 12-inch tagine. Arrange the chicken in a snug single layer on top and drizzle over any remaining marinade. Dot with 1 Tbs. of the butter, then put over medium heat and cook, turning the chicken occasionally, until the onions are translucent, about 15 minutes. Click here for the remaining instructions. Serving yield – four servings.