Today’s healthy meal feature is Sweet and Sour Chicken. Low-fat, but not light on taste, this dish is delicious with protein, veggies, and all the flavor of take-out Chinese, and it’s easy on the waistline. Fantastic and filling, enjoy this meal for lunch or dinner. Healthy and joyous eating!
Sweet and Sour Chicken (Recipe courtesy Food Network Magazine)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons peanut oil
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pint small, sweet mixed peppers, quartered, or 2 mixed bell peppers, cut into 1-inch strips
- 6 scallions, whites cut into 1 ½ -inch pieces, greens cut into 1-inch pieces and thinly sliced vertically into thin strips
- 8 ounces snow peas, trimmed
- Serving suggestion, cooked brown rice
- Chopped peanuts for sprinkling, optional
In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, chili-garlic sauce, vinegar, soy sauce, orange juice and cornstarch; set aside.
Meanwhile, coat the chicken with 2 teaspoons oil and heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken to taste with salt and pepper and cook, turning occasionally with a wooden spoon, 2 minutes. Transfer the partially-cooked chicken to a plate. Reserve the pan.
Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in the pan; add the peppers, scallion whites, and snow peas. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in the reserved chicken; whisk the sauce again and add it to the pan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened and the chicken is tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve over rice and sprinkle with the scallion greens and peanuts, if using.
Serving yield = 4. Nutritional analysis per serving (does not include brown rice and chopped peanuts) Calories 238; Total Fat 6g (Sat Fat 1 g, Mono Fat 2g, Poly Fat 2g) ; Protein 23g; Carb 23g; Fiber 4g; Cholesterol 49mg; Sodium 329mg