There is nothing more tasty than a sweet and salty treat. We all love that flavor contrast. These brownies are a sweet confection and will be enjoyed as dessert or a delicious treat with an afternoon cup of tea.
Sweet and Salty Pretzel Brownies
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons margarine or butter, room temperature
- 2 cups crushed pretzels (takes about 4 cups uncrushed)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (1 lb. 2.3 ounces) fudge brownie mix
- 2/3 cups oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- In a medium bowl, melt 1/2 cup butter.
- Mix in 1 1/2 cups crushed pretzels and sugar.
- Press pretzel mixture into foil-lined 13 x 9 baking pan. Bake in 350° oven for 8 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir together brownie mix, oil, eggs and 1/4 cup water until blended.
- Spread brownie batter over prepared pretzel crust. Bake for 24-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for at least one hour.
- In a medium bowl, beat melted chocolate, vanilla and remaining 2 tablespoons butter on low speed.
- Slowly add in confectioners' sugar.
- Beat in milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until spreading consistency.
- Frost brownies andtop with remaining 1/2 cup crushed pretzels.
Makes 24 brownies.