The driver of a BMW that broadsided a livery cab early Sunday, killing an Orthodox Jewish and their unborn child, has been identified. His name is Julio (Wemo) Acevedo, he is 44, is the father of two, and has a lengthy rap sheet includes a manslaughter conviction and a DWI.
But in an exclusive interview with the Daily News late Tuesday, Acevedo, who admits having been behind the wheel in the fatal collision, said he is not quite ready to surrender. Expressing remorse for his role in the obliteration of an entire family, he vowed, “I’m going to turn myself in. I have to get an attorney ready before I turn myself in.”
Acevedo claims that he was speeding to avoid gunfire directed at him by an old street foe. “I was trying to get away, because I was scared of someone shooting at me,” he said. But police say there were no reports of shots being fired in the area at that time.
Despite having been arrested for driving under the influence as recently as last month, Acevedo’s most famous crime was the shooting and killing of Kelvin Martin in 1987. Martin was Brooklyn street legend who was the first to use the name “50 Cent.”
A one-time paramour of Martin named Precious told The News that Acevedo “didn’t do enough time,” adding, “If he did the time he should have done, he would still be in jail. He wouldn’t have the opportunity to kill these people.”
Acevedo was initially convicted of murder in Martin’s death, but in 1997 persuaded a judge that he was acting in self-defense, prompting the court to set aside the murder conviction and allow him to plead to manslaughter.
When (if?) apprehended, Acevedo will likely face charges that include leaving the scene of an accident and second-degree manslaughter.
- Baby delivered after his parents were killed in car crash also dies
- Hubby, pregnant wife die in crash on way to hospital; baby survives
- NYC nanny stabs toddlers to death, attempts suicide (Video)
- Prosecutor blames mother for starvation death of Brooklyn 4-year-old (Photos)
- Brooklyn mother abandons daughters, 3 and 5, on sidewalk, drives off (Update)
- 2-year-old child run over and left for dead in street in southern China (Video)
- Bronx 4-year-old boy out past bedtime killed by stray bullet
- Children arrive home from school to find parents dead in murder-suicide
- 9-year-old dies after being forced to run nonstop for 3 hours as punishment
- Heartbreaking: Elephants gather to say goodbye to baby that died