Skip to main content

See also:

Suspect arrested in Upper Darby bedroom break-ins

Upper Darby Police Department
Upper Darby Police Department
Jenn Bernstein

Today, women in Upper Darby may have an easier time sleeping tonight as a suspect has been arrested in the series of home invasions that happened between April and June. Tyrell Booker, 21, of Yeadon, has been taken into custody Tuesday night and is now charged with one of five different break-ins that began on April 16 and continued through the end of June. The suspect has only been charged in one home invasion as the witness in that case has been able to identify Booker. In the other cases identification is difficult because the suspect wore a hoodie or ski mask.

Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood stated at a press conference that” We feel very strongly that this is the individual responsible for all five, even though we only charged him with one.” Chitwood also stated that Booker does have a history of burglary and criminal trespass. According to the police superintendent Booker is currently on state parole for two burglary convictions, one in 2011 and another in 2012. Chitwood also stated that he “believes that Booker should have never been released.’

Police reports show that authorities say that the suspect has struck five times since April, the most recent invasion coming Friday night in the 7000 block of Clinton Road. According to reports, the first incident occurred at the 7200 block of Guilford Road on April 16th, 2014. In that incident the accused made contact with the victim earlier in the evening as she was walking. He stopped her and asked for her number and where he could buy “some weed.” The young woman went home and at about 3 a.m. that morning while sleeping on her sofa, the victim awoke to find the same suspect staring at her. He fled the scene after she screamed for her mother who was at home at the time.

Other incidents that occurred in a similar nature were reported in the 7000 block of Atlantic Avenue, the 7100 block of Seaford Road, the 200 block of Sheffield Road and the 7000 block of Clinton Road.
Superintendent Chitwood stated that “Thank God, thank God he didn’t hurt anybody.” The police, though is unsure if there are other incidents that have yet to be reported. Chitwood continued, “I can’t imagine you’re in the privacy of your home and this bum walks in.” The investigation is ongoing.