On Dec. 15, CBS crowned a winner of “Survivor: Blood vs. Water” and revealed a new theme for the next season, which premieres in February of 2014. On Sunday night, Jeff Probst teased viewers by stating that the new season had a BBB theme. He later revealed BBB stands for “brawn, brains and beauty.” Just as season 27 had with “Blood vs. Water,” season 28 will also have a new theme to keep viewers tuning in.
According to longtime “Survivor” fans, the right person won “Blood vs. Water” on Sunday night. Former pro-cyclist Tyson Apostol won by a landslide vote. Monica Culpepper took second place (earning only one vote), while Gervase Peterson landed in third place with zero votes. The show’s new theme of pitting loved ones against each other truly added a new layer of drama, which played out well this season. However, Tyson ruled the roost for 40 days and truly earned the title of “Sole Survivor” and the $1 million payday that went with his big win.
Dalton Ross from “Entertainment Weekly” wrote about Apostol’s win and posted on Dec. 15:
You made the biggest, most impactful move of the season - flipping the script and getting rid of Aras. You found the only two hidden immunity idols that were found all game. You won the last two - and two most important - individual immunity challenges. You kept enough of your weak links in line (losing Ciera, but keeping Monica). You overcame an injury. You had a flawless final Tribal Council performance. You, sir, killed it. Absolutely killed it. You earned it.
CBS also posted on Sunday:
In the end, it was his charm - and the fact that other contestants thought they had a better chance against him in a finale - that won him the prize. The guy who schemed with reckless abandon walked away the winner.
To see Tyson and Rachel talk about competing on “Survivor: Blood vs. Water,” be sure to watch the video above.
Tyson Apostol joins a long list of other “Survivor” millionaire winners including:
- Season 1: Richard Hatch (Borneo)
- Season 2: Tina Wesson (Outback)
- Season 3: Ethan Zohn (Africa)
- Season 4: Vecepia Towery (Marquesas)
- Season 5: Brian Heidik (Thailand)
- Season 6: Jenna Morasca (Amazon)
- Season 7: Sandra Diaz-Twine (Pearl Islands)
- Season 8: Amber Brkich (All-Stars)
- Season 9: Chris Daughterty (Vanuatu)
- Season 10: Tom Weston (Palau)
- Season 11: Danni Boatwright (Guatemala)
- Season 12: Aras Baskauskas (Exile Island)
- Season 13: Yul Kwon (Cook Islands)
- Season 14: Earl Cole (Fiji)
- Season 15: Todd Herzog (China)
- Season 16: Parvati Shallow (Misconesia)
- Season 17: Bob Crowley (Gabon)
- Season 18: J.T. Thomas (Tocantins)
- Season 19: Natalie White (Samoa)
- Season 20: Sandra Diaz Twine (Heroes vs. Villains)
- Season 21: Jud “Fabio” Birza (Nicaguara
- Season 22: “Boston Rob” Marino (Redemption Island)
- Season 23: Sophie Clarke (South Pacific)
- Season 24: Kim Spradlin (One World)
- Season 25: Denise Stapley (Philippines)
- Season 26: John Cochran (Fans vs. Favorites)
- Season 27: Tyson Apostol (Blood vs. Water)
“Survivor” will return for a 28th season in February of 2014. The theme is “Brawn vs. Brains vs. Beauty.” The competitors will be split into three tribes. According to Reality Blurred, no previous players are returning and the season has already been shot (same Cagayan location as “Blood vs. Water”). The new cast will include NBA player Cliff Robinson from the Portland Trail Blazers and 17 other new players. Plus, there will be no Redemption Island. Jeff Probst told “Entertainment Weekly" about the Brawn vs. Brains vs. Beauty season of “Survivor: Cacayau”:
It’s really interesting how that label either works or doesn’t for each individual and what happens to the group dynamic. The brawn tribe is more aggressive. And they’re more sports-like. And they end up using euphemisms for things like, ‘Listen, we’re gonna give it our best shot today!’ And the brains tribe has this enormous pressure out of the gate that ‘If there is a puzzle, we have to win. And if we don’t win, we’re the losers because we’re supposed to be the smart ones.’ And it was really interesting to watch the beautiful people talk about their beauty and how charm gets them through life, and watch it play out in alliances.
Do you want to stay in-the-know? Then sign up to get my articles personally delivered to your in-box. Just click on SUBSCRIBE and you'll stay up-to-the-minute with the latest TV news.