We just celebrated Easter Sunday and a good number of us indulged in brunch. Well, another popular occasion for celebrating with brunch is just around the corner-Mother's Day. This year, treat your mother to these amazing cheddar cheese scones from Chef Eric Crowley of Culinary Classroom. For more of Chef Eric's tempting recipes, please visit here and here.
Cheddar Cheese Scones, Yield: 6 Scones
- All Purpose Flour, 1 3/4 cups
- Baking Powder, 2 ½ teaspoons
- Sugar, 2 teaspoons
- Salt, 1/2 teaspoon
- Cheddar Cheese, grated, 1/2 cup
- Butter, unsalted, chilled and diced, 1/4 cup-1/2 stick
- Eggs, beaten to blend, 1 T reserved, 2 eggs
- Whipping cream, 1/3 cup
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking pan with parchment paper and grease.
- Sift flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Cut in cheese and butter using pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Reserve 1 Tablespoon beaten egg. Blend remaining egg with cream in a small bowl. Using a large spoon, mix into dry ingredients just until blended. Do not knead the dough.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and pat into 8" circles 3/4 inch thick. Cut into 6 wedges. Arrange on prepared sheet and brush the tops with the reserved egg.
- Bake until golden, about 15 minutes. Serve warm.