In a surprise final report by the Senate Intelligence Committee Wednesday, it was determined that the deadly Sept. 11, 2012 attack by “militants” on U.S. government buildings in Benghazi, Libya, was due to inadequate security by the State Department.
That means former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is the first one to look to for this lack of protection for our ambassador and aides.
Numerous warnings had been issued by U.S. intelligence agencies prior to the attack.
The main theme was the deteriorating conditions for U.S. personnel and government posts in Benghazi, according to a declassified report issued by the committee.
The committee said, The State Department "failed to increase security enough to address the threat, even though the U.S. diplomatic post in Benghazi had suffered two earlier, but less damaging, attacks during the previous six months.”
Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans were killed when “militants” launched a planned attack on the lightly protected U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi and a CIA base three blocks away Sept. 11, 2012.
For the last 17 months, the incident has been a bone of contention starting with the run-up to the 2012 election.
While the president attempted to downplay the event as best he could, Republicans screamed to the mainstream media that the motive presented to the American people that it was an anti-Muslim video, was ridiculous.
As Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) put it, “Throughout this investigation, the Obama administration was more of a roadblock than a contributor to committee efforts to look into the root cause of these attacks. This is especially troubling given that no one at the State Department, which has direct responsibility for the safety of U.S. diplomatic posts overseas, has been held accountable.”
He continued, “Despite many promises of ensuring justice for those behind this attack, that has not happened. This complete absence of accountability is unacceptable, and it is my hope that this administration will finally commit the intelligence, diplomatic and military resources to bring those responsible for these attacks to justice.”
Both Rubio and North Carolina Sen. Richard Burr said the panel's report is incomplete.
Sen. Burr said as a follow-up to Rubio, "This bipartisan report is a step forward in our understanding of these events, but should not by any means be viewed as a final verdict. To the extent this report is incomplete, it is not due to the Committee's unwillingness to investigate, but the State Department's intransigence. It is our obligation and duty to continue to ask probing questions and investigate all details as they continue to come to light - as they invariably will."
The committee found no evidence that U.S. spy agencies or the State Department had received any warnings the day of the attack. The CIA and State Department had both sent "general warning notices to facilities worldwide" about possible attacks on the anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, al-Qaida attacks on the United States.
That was the gist of it.
The CIA fully cooperated and will "examine the committee's recommendations pertaining to agency practices and procedures."
A State Department official said, "The Department is focused on preventing another tragedy like this one."
No comment from the White House, President Obama, Hillary Cllinton or former UN Ambassador Susan Rice who initially told a weary nation the attack was cased by a video.
* If you have enjoyed this column, may I suggest you scroll to the top of this page and press the SUBSCRIBE box? It's FREE. Thank you for your patronage.
** Send your comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org