Skip to main content
  1. Life
  2. Pets
  3. General Pets

Surgery reveals Great Dane ate 43 socks

See also

What happens when all of your socks go missing? Check your dog. CNN reported on Aug. 4, 2014, that x-rays showed a large mass of unknown origin in a three-year-old Great Dane’s digestive track. Surgery revealed that the dog had consumed more than 43 socks. The event was so unusual it won the animal hospital a prize.

The three-year-old Great Dane was in obvious distress all day. He was observed vomiting and retching for the better part of 24 hours. A call to the vet determined it was a medical emergency. Off to DoveLewis Animal Hospital in Portland, Oregon they went. The abdominal radiographs were clear. There was a large foreign mass in the giant canine. Surgery was the only option. As the surgeon explored the mass, it seemed like he was doing laundry. Socks, 43 ½ to be exact, were removed from the dog. That is enough socks for a family of four. Even the surgeon at the animal hospital was surprised—and emergency vets do not shock easily.

The case was so unusual that it was entered into the Veterinary Practice News “They ate what” contest. It took third place and awarded the non-profit animal hospital with $500. They will use the money to help cover the vet bills for patients who cannot pay. The big dog stayed overnight at the hospital and was released the following day.

This is not the first time the Great Dane has taken a liking to footwear. The other incidents were not severe. So far, no more socks have gone missing. But, if they do, the owners will know where to look.

Advertisement