A surgeon left 16 different items inside a German man's body during an operation for prostate surgery it was reported Jan. 16 by Dailymail.co.uk. Dirk Schroeder, 74, suffered 'appalling agony' after the routine operation for prostate cancer in 2009. He had been told he would probably live another six years at least after the surgery. His family is seeking $121,000 from the hospital as compensation.
A few months after the surgery, a nurse made a home visit and shockingly found a huge gauze pad sticking out from his wound. He was sent back to the hospital. Later, surgeons at Hanover, Germany, during two separate operations, removed a total of 16 items consisting of a needle, six-inch long compress, a six-inch roll of bandage, a surgical mask fragment and several swabs from Mr. Schroeder.
Mr. Schroeder survived the procedures but died last year since the cancer had spread. The German hospital has denied that the items were left inside of Mr. Schroeder during his prostate surgery. They claim that the items had entered his body after the surgery.
The family's attorney and medical expert Annette Corinth stated that such a mistake was "unique in medical literature."
"I hope the hospital will settle but otherwise the family are prepared to go all the way and sue in court," Ms Corinth said. "The family of the deceased spent lots of money on care, medicines and reconstruction of their home to look after this man. There has been gross negligence here which most probably had led to complications and possibly a quicker death."
Thanks for reading my top news articles. In order to continue to read my articles about the latest news, please click subscribe just above the comments section. You can contact me at Char.Raynor@yahoo.com.