A report that indicates a surgeon left 16 items in the body of an elderly patient is creating a buzz on the Web today.
The family of the now deceased man, Dirk Schroeder, is seeking more than $120,000 from an unnamed hospital as compensation for his pain and suffering.
Back in 2009, Schroeder had routine surgery to relieve some of the pain he was experiencing from prostate cancer. A post-surgery visit revealed that swabs, a six-inch roll of bandage, a needle and many other surgical items were left inside his body.
Schroeder had to undergo two surgeries to remove the items from his body.
The Daily Mail reports that the German man survived the two operations required to remove 16 items left in his body, but he died in 2012 after his prostate cancer spread.
The family's lawyer, Annette Corinth, states that "Such an extent of foreign objects left inside a patient is unique in medical literature."
The hospital where Schroeder had his initial surgery has not been named, but there are several reports that claim that hospital officials claim that the items, including a needle and part of a surgical mask, entered his body "post-operative." How that could have happened is not explained.
"I hope the hospital will settle but otherwise the family are prepared to go all the way and sue in court. The family of the deceased spent lots of money on care, medicines and reconstruction of their home to look after this man." - Annette Corinth, Schroeder's family lawyer via The Daily Mail
The lawsuit against the hospital claims that there was "gross negligence" and that it is possible that the 16 items left in the Schroeder's body may have "led to complications and possibly a quicker death."
- 18 heads found at airport: Frozen human heads seized at O'Hare Airport
- Fish grabs man's arm video shows Man vs. Tarpon: Who wins?
- Video: Ugly flash mob empties Mall of Louisiana after teens brawl
- Dog who wouldn't die home after eye surgery: 'Buck is sleeping comfortably now' (Photos)
- Hulk Hogan files another lawsuit: Laser Spine Institute 'ruined his career'
- Naked PETA protestor lays in bloody meat package outside Dreamland Bar-B-Que
- Viral black iceberg photo will give you the chills