Cut those sandwich calories in half with delicious flat bread in minutes.
Hodgson Mills' produces a brand of flour goods in a variety of flavors and textures.
The company manufactures flour from corn, flaxseed, oatmeal, rice, soy and whole grain.
Flat bread sandwich rounds
1/2 cup of Hodgson Mills' brand Soy flour
3/4 cup of Hodgson Mills' brand Rye flour
1/2 cup of vanilla protein powder
1 tablespoon of Stevia sweetener
2 egg whites
1 cup of skim milk (optional: soy milk mixed with 1/3 cup of ice water)
1 tablespoon of sunflower oil
1/3 cup of Philadelphia low-fat cream cheese (optional: sour cream)
1 tablespoon of cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon of salt
1/4 cup of raw honey
Directions: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
1. Mix and sift all flour ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add protein powder, black pepper and salt to the flour mixture; blend with hands.
2. In a separate bowl, mix in egg whites, milk, sunflower oil, stevia sweetener and stir. Use fist to form a crest in the center of the flour bowl.
3. Pour wet ingredients into the center of flour mixture; slowly blend ingredients with a wooden spoon.
4. Stir in cream cheese and honey; once all the flour is mixed in with wet ingredients, bread batter should be thick not thin.
5. Thicken the flour mixture by adding at least 1/3 cup more of rye or flaxseed flour mix to dough.
6. Test thickness of the bread batter with a wooden spoon. Scoop batter onto the spoon and turn spoon upright.
7. Batter should slowly drop in clumps from the spoon. Use a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Layer top of the foil surface with a sheet of parchment paper.
8. Ladle at least two scoops of bread batter onto the baking sheet. Use the back of the ladle to shape contents into pancake form.
9. Separate bread batter two inches apart; bake four to five rounds per cookie sheet to avoid overcrowding.
10.To ensure heat distributes evenly during the baking process, do not place cookie sheet in the oven.
11. Use the cookie sheet to carefully transfer the foiled surface with the batter onto an oven rack.
12. Bake bread for 35 to 40 minutes; until golden brown. Use a toothpick to ensure bread is fully cooked.
13. Allow bread to cool; use to make sandwiches, garnish with soup or pasta dishes.
Bob’s Red Mill products is another food brand that offers natural flour products for bread baking too. The key to a healthy heart is healthier ingredients.